Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Crises: Reliance on Internet

As I've discussed throughout this semester, crises can occur spontaneously and occasionally without warning. Therefore, responding to a crisis in a timely manner is crucial. However, current trends in society, technology, and the marketplace are changing the way companies respond to a crisis.

The increasing popularity of the internet has entirely changed the way companies send messages to their target publics. Internally, the booming trend of reliance on internet allows companies to utilize their website as a form of communication throughout a crisis.

After taking a look at Kitson’s website I realized it was severely lacking in many areas. First, the only way to get into direct contact with Kitson boutique is a toll-free number and a generic email address. The company appears rather careless towards customers’ needs. Secondly, I was very disappointed that the press link did not include updated media and press releases. Instead, it only displayed celebrity sightings at the boutique. Lastly, it was very evident that Kitson does not use their website as a means of communication during a crisis.


With that said, I have come up with some recommendations to revamp Kitson’s website. Fraser Ross… include press releases! It’s nice to see celebrity photos, but I want to hear to juicy details. I would also like to feel important… include the telephone numbers to your stores. Maybe I forgot my wallet in the fitting room; I do not want to go through the hassle of calling a 1-800 number when my banking card is MIA. Lastly, I know you have a Facebook fan page. Start incorporating social media links on your website.

Keeping up with today’s current social, technological and market trends is essential. The internet is a perfect way to communicate with your target audience during a crisis. Be prepared, be up-to-date!!

Peace, love & fashion!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment